Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Remember those Purses with the bamboo handles!

I am sure that you have seen them before.
Somewhere in my large stash of leaflets is this
pattern with all of those pretty monograms. I dont
think that anyone makes these anymore but if you own
one - then why not remake remix and reuse it! The purse is
truly out of date! Please do not be intimidated by these
long directions. They are truly simple. If you sew then these
directions are not of any use to you - but for someone who
doesn't  then I hope that you can understand my directions.
Please read thru them first so you understand before you cut.

You will need one of these purses, some ribbon, needle &
sewing thread, or a sewing machine. Anyone that reads
the tutorials on my miniature blog knows that I stitch most
of my things up with 2 strands of candlewicking thread.
I use what is on hand at the time or what I have. Those
tutorials also show how I sew each piece - as I have used
that same concept here with my handstitching.
 Sorry guys - I forgot to take a photo with the bamboo
handles on. These cute lined purses have both sides
which are cross stitched - and they are generally the same.
One side will make a large scissor case & the other side
will make a scissors fob and whatever else you want
out of the fabric. The scissor fob directions have already
been posted before this posting.
 Before you cut anything - take a look here at the top
of the purse once the handles are removed. There is a
casing already for you to insert ribbon. And notice that the
side seam is not stitched all the way up to the top of
the purse.
 I realize now that I have forgotten a photo - in which
I forgot to snap. But here is what you do. To cut these
apart - simply start on one side of a side seam and cut
around to the other side. This will leave the lining still
stitched to one side. (you will notice in my photos that I did not do this).
But you should - because it will keep your lining sewn down
to where it doesnt get in your way. I had a little more trouble
because I didnt do this.
 After they have been carefully cut apart. See those
dog-ears - snip them off. The dog-ears are located at
the bottom of the purse - yea those little flaps.
 I hope you were careful when cutting the front & the
back apart. See these side seams - they look nice.
 See what I told ya - I didnt stick to one side when cutting
the 2 halves apart.
 To begin  - make sure that you have some
pins handy. Start at the bottom and be sure
to keep straight the lining and turn under.
See the part that is sticking out beyond
the hem. Fold the bottom up to that - just
as you see here to the inside.
 Now - look at the other side. Make sure that
the scroll is even all the way across. You dont want
a lop-sided bottom! When it looks good - then pin it -
with the pin on the green scroll. Do not pin on the
inside of the scissors case as you might not be able to
take them out later.
 I hope that you can tell what I am doing. All I am
doing is - finger pressing up the bottom and folding
over the side closest to me. I am trying to get it straight
and also while tucking in those bottom threads before
I pin the bottom closed. I am not worried at this point
about the inside edge. The lining is a little slippery.
Also keep checking the front side with the green scroll.
You want it straight as possible.
 I have pinned it in place only once. And I am still
fumbling with it.
 There - I have gotten it as straight as I possibly can.
Before I stitch it then I will make sure I straighten it better.
You can machine stitch this closed or hand stitch it
closed. The option is yours. However once you start sewing
up - you will have to hand stitch.
 Be sure to double click & make this photo larger to see.
The part that is folded over - I had to pin down on the
front side. Also notice the inside raw edge near the green
scroll. I am not worried about this edge as it will be hidden.
 Now flip over the other side - align up the bottom
and pin it. Make sure to straighten it up as good as you
can. Then proceed pinning up towards the casing and fold
the raw edge under as you go.
It is hard to keep it all straight but do it as good as you can.
You can straighten it up more once you begin to stitch.
 Here is mine pinned. I will only stitch up to the point
of that last pin - because my pins are long.
 Move your pins around to get the best look - unless
you are aready satisfied.
 Take one last look - see how far my pin
goes up. You dont want anymore open
than that.
 Now make sure that only the back and the lining
are pinned - because you dont want to stitch the
entire thing closed to where you cannot put your
scissors in there.
 Start at the bottom and hide your knot on the inside.
There are 2 ways that you can stitch this. You can whip
stitch it closed or hide your stitches. I prefer to hide
my stitches on the inside.
 Stitch all the way across to one side and then back
again. This strengthens the bottom.
 Now proceed upwards - be sure not to stitch it to the
front side! Keep checking by putting your hand inside
once in a while - to make sure that you dont feel
any stitches.
 So far so good!
 This is how I measure the ribbon. All I do is wrap the
ribbon around the outside and add what I want for the
length. Cut off the excess ribbon.
 I forgot to tell you - that you need a small safety pin.
Put it on the ribbon like the picture shows.
 Now thread the safety pin thru the casing all the way
to the other side and pull out to make the ribbon
equal on both sides. Now put knots at the bottom of
each ribbon so the ribbon doesnt pull back thru.
 Place your scissors inside and make a pretty bow
on the back with your ribbons. This is the front side.
 It holds the scissors very well. You can put a piece
of cardboard on the inside just to stablize it more.
But you dont have to - because its not flimsy. Its sturdy.
 Here is the bow on the back.
I hope Pep likes this little set.
Be sure to make the matching scissor fob!
by Hopblogger

2 comments:

MiniBinoy said...

great idea and easy tute. :)

mieljolie said...

Very creative!

Mieljolie